Monday, March 11, 2013

US Senate

Returning home after several days away and I was greeted with some good news.  The newspaper headlines from one day last week blared, "Levin won't seek re-election...."  Well, that's good news to me, at least for now.  The 2014 election might provide a different scenario.

My views of Senator Levin are not favorable.  His office rarely answers e-mails (and before those, letters).  One of the few responses I did receive came more than six months after my initial letter, back in the '90s.  And, the reply didn't have anything to do with my concern.  I might still have that letter around someplace; I'm not sure.

I wonder, since I haven't caught up on all of the newspapers, if the accolades will start to roll in.  I'll bet so.  I disagree, but, this is America.

I remember a number of things with which I disagreed with Senator Levin, but two matters are at the forefront.  I remember his campaign of '84 (I think) against Jack Lousma.  Levin characterized his opponent as "a carpetbagger" because he had recently moved back to Michigan after a number of years away, Houston I believe.  Yeah, Lousma was "a carpetbagger" all right. He was in the military and then was an astronaut--Houston!  I know a lot of folks refer to Levin as "the conscience of the Senate," as Harry Reid did last week.  (Now, there's someone I would like to have endorse me!!!!!!)  That honor, "conscience of the Senate," belongs to former Michigan US Senator Philip Hart.  To compare Levin with him is degrading to Hart.  "A carpetbagger" reminds me of that.  And, a second episode was the Bill Clinton impeachment fiasco.  I remember, amidst the scandal and degradating of the Presidency, Levin's silence was deafening.  I can't imagine Phil Hart sitting so quietly by.

No comments: