Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Food Memories

This might get me labelled, labelled in a bad way.  But, here goes....

I was reminded tonight of how much I enjoyed the school meat loaf when I was a kid.  Yep, I really did like it.  It came with gravy and mashed potatoes, like powdered ones, too.  Another of my favorites was the braised beef on white rice (none of that brown rice or wild rice!).  Yummy.  The school(s) also made good chicken with rice and chicken noodle soups.  It only came once or twice a year, but the turkey dinner near Thanksgiving and Christmas was quite tasty as well.  Yep, I liked all of them--a lot.

Of the desserts, about the only one I liked was the cherry pie, not always available though.  I remember my second grade teacher, again and again, telling us not to eat sweets.  But watching her go through the cafeteria line, she always had a piece of pie! 

What a great lunch--a bowl of chicken with rice soup and a piece of cherry pie!  Of course, I didn't buy my lunch very often.  We couldn't really afford it.  I took my lunch more days than not, many more days than not.  I would get 2 cents for milk.  Often, I wouldn't buy milk and just saved the 2 cents (over time) in case one of the special lunches was available.

No doubt, there were some lousy lunches.  But I didn't buy them, so....

No comments: