Friday, February 15, 2013

Worth a Laugh

Sometimes, if it isn't so pathetic, it would be funny.  Nancy Pelosi, naturally, opposes a Congressional pay cut (whether because of an inability/unwillingness to pass a budget or share the economic pain that others are feeling or whatever).  Does she or anyone else take seriously her comments about it?  In speaking against any potential cuts, she maintains, "We should respect the work that we [members of Congress?] do."  And, she went on the "the dignity of the job" should be "rewarded."  Well, of course, lots of people likely side with her.  She keeps getting re-elected, which underscores the old H.L. Mencken line, "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people."  Members of Congress lie and scheme, are disingenous and dishonest, all while maintaining, as does Pelosi, this air of arrogant superiority.  They are, remember, smarter than the rest of us and they know what's best for us better than we do.  I'm getting a headache just thinking about her and them.  And people make fun of Sarah Palin?!?!?!

I guess three Supreme Court Justices boycotted President Obama's State of the Union.  I, for one, fully understand why--for several reasons.  But some think it was in bad taste, was disrespectful of the government, etc.  In fact, even some columnists on the right (the Supremes who boycotted were all conservatives) were critical of Justices Thomas, Scalia, and Alito. Not me. 

I disagree that "They should have been there." Recall the big flap over that Boston Bruin goalie who refused to attend the now increasingly comical White House dog-and-pony shows to congratulate athletic teams. I think the Supremes, with their actions, sent a loud-and-clear message. (Of course, most people won't hear it.) I often tell people that if by some odd reason I was invited to the Obama White House, I'd "Just Say No." I wonder if I'd really do that, but think I have the integrity to refuse to attend.

 Perhaps (but perhaps not?) in another, but somewhat related vein, if I were a baseball teammate of, say, Roberto Clemente in the 1950s and 1960s and the team bus stopped at a Florida restaurant to eat, would I get out to eat if Clemente, being black, was not permitted in the restaurant? Forget the racial thing (although that can't really be done); Clemente would have been my teammate and, likely, my friend. What about a similar situation at the "before-heading-North" barbecue held for the Pirates--the white ones, that is--at the all-white country club in Bradenton? Would I have refused to attend, even had the Pirates' management insisted I go? Again, I'd like to think I wouldn't.

 I worked with a very prissy, even sneaky one might say, person. Oh, he'd get so upset with me for standing up and calling dumb things "dumb things." "What," I once asked him, "am I supposed to do? Just sit there quietly while bad things are happening?" He thought it "rude" to speak up. I guess he would have found George Washington, et al "rude," too.

Sometimes "business as usual" is part of the problem.

No comments: