Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Robert Bork

Robert Bork died today.  Few may remember he was the Reagan appointee to the Supreme Court so vociferously (and I'm being kind!) by the Democrats.  His nomination was rejected by the Senate, much, I think, to our detriment.

He was a brilliant man, perhaps far too conservative for some.  But in reading a few of his books, particularly The Tempting of America, I was struck at how much he was teaching from those books.  Reading them reminded me of being in some of my classes at Amherst.  I found my own thoughts and views being challenged--from a book.

His nomination was rejected, in large part, due to the efforts of Ted Kennedy, that scumbag of scumbags.  No, Ted Kennedy wasn't the Lion of the Senate, as he was so erroneously portrayed in his last days and at his death.  How quickly people forgot the little things, like Mary Jo Kopechne's death.  Kennedy's opposition to Bork was equally scummy.  One of the things he brought up was Bork's speaking engagements, engagements for which he took money while he was a federal appellate judge.  "Unethical!" among other things was the indictment.  Bork kept quiet and only later did it come out that his wife had cancer and was undergoing treatments.  The health insurance had run out and he was giving speeches to continue the treatments.  Yep, let's put that one in the same category as, say, "Mary Jo Kopechne."

The Democrats went to their black constituents, namely their black ministers, and spread lies about Bork and urged the ministers to spread those lies to their congregations during Sunday services/sermons.  Yep, tell me how dishonest and immoral the Republicans are again.

I read a book about the nomination of Judge Bork.  The author, in his forward, admitted he went into its writing with a bias, against Bork.  It didn't take long before the author changed his mind and discovered a good man, an honest man, although one with whom he disagreed.

Gee, I wonder if we'll order flags flown at half mast, like we did for Whitney Houston?  Shame on me.

No comments: