Sunday, April 7, 2013

Div III Champions!

Well, the Lord Jeff's men's basketballers won the Div III championship today.  It was quite a victory, the good guys winning by 17.  The scoring seemed pretty well spread out.  (I'll get the game summary tomorrow.)  Gee, imagine a college championship by players who actually have to go to class and do the work.  Yep, hard to imagine. 

I was most impressed by something at the end of the game.  Some girls were handing out championship hats to the Jeffs out on the court, in the midst of the celebration.  And every player I saw took the time to say, "Thanks" or "Thank you."  How cool!  Of course, I'm probably the only one who noticed and was "most impressed."

Memories were evoked, too.  Back 42 years ago, the faculty voted, as we fully expected, not to allow our team my senior year to accept a post-season tournament berth.  No, we weren't bitter or, if I recall, even disappointed.  We were students first, athletes second.  But, I must admit, some of us were better athletes than students!

Regardless, congratulations to the Jeffs.  I've noted that even some of the decidedly "unathletic" among my mates have posted e-mails of pride.

No comments: