Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Throwing Out the Baby with the Bath Water

I may be off base here, but it seems to me on a number of issues we are, in our willingness to get rid of the bathwater in a hurry, also ready to toss out the baby still in it.

With ObamaCare, for instance, of 300 million people, only about 10-15% have no health insurance.  (That doesn't mean they don't get care or treatment.)  And a number of those are by choice, although I don't know the exact numbers.  So, what do the politicians do?  They worsen health care for 85-90% of Americans to take care of the 10-15%.  Huh?  And it's like gun control and the hysteria surrounding it.  An overwhelming percentage (99.9999%?) of gun owners are not mass murderers, despite the ravings of that Congressman a few weeks ago (I have forgotten his name).  And, I'd guess, well over 90% of people with guns don't commit crimes with them.  So, what are the up to now?  Yep, they are taking aim, not at the few scofflaws, but at everybody.  Instead of targeting the lawbreakers, the pols are going to punish/penalize those who are responsible. 

I thought of this the other night, when the house was a bit too warm for my comfort level.  Instead of lowering the heat or opening a door, why don't I just throw a chair through the front window?  That would have let in enough cool air to make it more comfortable.  Of course, that's ridiculous.  But it seems to me that this is exactly what politicians do--again and again and again.

I read last week that ObamaCare, over the next couple of years, will require the hiring of thousands of bureaucrats.  (The frightening prospect that some pencil-pusher will have more authority over my health care than my doctor or I will is not the point here, not this time.)  The CBO (?) estimates of the cost of those additional bureaucrats would be enough for the federal government to purchase health insurance for at least half of those who are not covered now.  That is, the cost of ObamaCare could pretty much alleviate the health insurance crisis (not my term) without fouling up everyone else's insurance.  Perhaps those conspiracy nuts have it right--maybe it's not really about health care.

No comments: