Thursday, January 10, 2013

Hold on to Your Hats!

Bill Clinton was named the “Father of the Year” by the National Father’s Day Council this week.  I looked to see if this was from The Onion or The Ottster, but apparently it's legit!  Obama and Algore "win" Nobel Peace Prizes....  Sometimes I just wonder.

And the Transportation Dept is considering a new tax, this one of mileage.  I'm not sure--and I 'm sure the TD isn't either!--how it will work.  But, preliminary talks are talking about keeping track of individuals' mileage and basing taxes on that.  With the federally-mandated (or soon-to-be?) tracking (GPS) devices, well, you better keep your bicycle tires pumped up for that trip to the grocery store.  BTW, how many lights does Algore have on in his mansion right now??????

In Michigan, several hundred business owners/corporate heads rated the possibility of the state's return to prosperity in '13 at 62 of 100, a 62% if my calculator is correct.  That's a D-.  Hmmmm....  I guess they aren't very optimistic about the coming year.  They cited, mostly, coming taxes and bog-down government regulations.  I keep reading about "the recovery," but I also keep seeing businesses shutting their doors.  Just last night, taking Ashley to Girl Scouts, I saw two empty store fronts on M-59 that weren't empty last week.

Maybe I'm a bit picky, but I get a kick out of seeing cars in driveways with green bumper stickers, for instance, the "Co-Exist" ones.  Well, it's not the bumper stickers, but what I see at the driveways.  This AM out running, I noted several of these cars idling in the dark (I run out-and-back on these streets quite frequently) while owners wait for them to heat up inside.  And invariably these same driveways are cleared, not by shovels, but snowblowers.  And, once again, my all-time favorite was the huge SUV barreling down I 696 at 80 or more mph bearing the bumper sticker, "No Blood for Oil."



No comments: