Friday, January 18, 2013

Roads?

So, the governor wants a tax increase for "infrastructure," name roads, improvement.  Hmmm......  It will "only" be about $120 more a person plus whatever higher registration fees ($60 or $80 per car?)are included in the deal.  Ah, "only dollars," once again.

Before I give these Bozos any more money, I'd like some questions answered.  First, where is all that increased state revenue from the big tax cut businesses received?  You remember that one, don't you?  Businesses had a nice tax cut with no conditions--"Hey, pay fewer dollars in taxes, but you don't have to lower prices and you don't have to hire more people."  Why don't we pay for the road fixes with the increased revenues from the business tax decrease?

Second, why can't we cut other areas to pay for roads?  I see we still provide money for people to engage in bad/undesirable conduct--for instance, payments for women to keep having babies after babies after babies with no fathers around.  And, as I've noted here in the past, there are many other such wasteful programs that promote behaviors we shouldn't be promoting.

Third, a spokesman (from the governor's office?) on the radio kept talking about fixing the roads for safety's sake.  The guy said two or three times that "the leading cause" of fatal accidents is bad roads.  "More than half the [road] fatalities" come from the lousy conditions of our roads.  Wait a minute!  I'm confused.  I thought drunk driving was the leading cause, hence the ridiculous 0.08 blood-alcohol content standard for drunk driving.  No, I thought it was "Speed Kills."  Gee, I'm confused.  Which is it?

But I keep thinking back to "only dollars."  So, as this spokesman said, it will only cost someone about $200 more bucks to improve the roads, bridges, etc.  "Certainly that's a small price to pay...."  Maybe so.  Apparently, he forgot about the $400 more I'll pay in state income taxes this year--thanks to the governor's initiative.  And, I haven't done my taxes yet, so who knows?  It might be even more than that with all the exemptions, deductions, credits that have been eliminated.  Oh, and I haven't even touched the $1200 or more the federal government will be getting from me this year.  Yeah, buddy, "only dollars."  Here's a novel idea--why don't you just use the extra money you're already stealing, er, taking, from me this year??????

No comments: