Saturday, February 22, 2014

"Nowhere to Run"

Wow!  Wasn't that a great tune by Martha and the Umbrellas?!?!?!  It still is and I think it's one of my two favorites by that group.  (Yes, I love, love, love Motown songs!)

Now, "Nowhere to Run" has taken on a new meaning--a literal one.  There's nowhere to run, at least not outside.  Michael, my blind buddy, and I called off our run this AM, mostly due to the strong winds--20 to 30 mph or more.  But I was also concerned about the streets and the footing on them--ice and packed snow that is like running on slag or big rocks.

Here, running on the main roads is fine--on the main roads, not the shoulders.  The shoulders are pretty much solid ice.  I tried walking this AM on them and went back home.  The side/subdivision streets are also very bad.  There are some clear spots, but mostly they, too, are like ice rinks.  Toss in the rough slag-like conditions, ripe for ankle turns and spills, and there's nowhere to run.

Dreadmills, er, treadmills are out of the question.  I don't like them.  Besides, the one in the basement has a key that can't be found.  (Gee, the kids don't know what happened to it!)  I don't like to visit the local high schools and their indoor tracks, either.

I'm hoping tomorrow will give me a little window of opportunity to get out there.

Not one to wish my life away, but I can't wait for better weather--to run and to bike.  Hey, did Punxatawney Phil see his shadow??????

No comments: