Sunday, February 2, 2014

Super Bowl

Well, I guess it's over.  Oddly, I just finished an online survey about my/our Super Bowl experience(s).  Hmm....  Karen won a quarter "square," $50.  Not too bad.  But that was the extent of my interest in the game.  I really knew Peyton Manning's name and not any others.  Oh, some were mentioned and they rang a bell.  But had I been asked to name one off the top of my head, nope, I couldn't do it.

Ditto for the halftime show.  Who's this "Bruno" guy?  I never heard of him.  Although he wasn't freaky, how'd he get on the show?  The other group was freaky and more about that in a bit.

Doing the survey, I wonder if the tally person will believe the answer I clicked to the question of my interest in the game, "I didn't really pay attention."  I ate a bit, not much, although C's cake was pretty good.  I had a couple of LaBatts, OK more than a couple, but not many.  I finished the second half drinking Coke Zero.

I may be wrong, but didn't that winning coach drive the USC program into probation with the NCAA?  There was a loss of scholarships and the program went from #1 in the nation (well, yeah, he managed to get the college on probation for a reason!) to an also-ran, just like that.  But he got to move on, make even more money.  Isn't that a kick?  The school gets punished (and maybe it should for hiring a guy like that) and the guy who did the wrong gets to find a new job making more bucks--and a Super Bowl.  Of course, how many have ruined college programs and moved on to other college jobs, with nary a peep from the NCAA?

I saw a few plays, mostly on replay, that determined the outcome of the game.  But other than that, I mostly just talked with the pretty ladies. So, it was a good evening.  And all three kids were asleep when we arrived home!

I've been dwelling on this all week.  In the early '70s, Alistair Cooke wrote a book, America.  It celebrated the greatness of the United States.  But Cooke warned, in the last chapter, that perhaps the US was headed in the same direction as the Roman Empire--that is, fall/collapse.  One of the factors he noted was "a freakishness in the arts."  Look around; there's "freakishness" all over the place, not just the arts.  Note what passes for "music" and other forms of art today.   Note the second group at the Super Bowl.  More about all that later in the week.  Now, it's time to make sure the kids are tucked in for the night.

No comments: