Saturday, February 18, 2017

I'm Lost

Let's hope the US Supremes get it right.  If I understand this correctly, the Washington State supreme court upheld upon appeal the conviction of a florist who withheld services to a gay marriage, based on her "deeply-held religious convictions."  The florist, a septuagenarian and Southern Baptist, doesn't believe in gay marriages.  By all accounts, even that of the state of Washington which brought the complaint/charges, the lady had served the man many times before, knowing he was gay.  She did not discriminate against him for being gay.  What she did was hold firm to her religious beliefs that recognize only traditional man-woman marriages.

I suppose one might argue "What if one claims his/her religion prohibits performing services for an interracial marriage?"  I don't know of any religions that do that.  And, most important, should the government be in a position to dictate one's religious convictions?!?!?!

First light bulbs, then flush toilets.  Then the types of televisions......  Now religion?  "First they came after the Jews, but I wasn't a Jew so I said nothing.  Then they came after the trade unionists, but I wasn't a trade unionist so I said nothing.  Then they came after the communists, but I wasn't a communist so I said nothing......  Then they came after me and there was no one left to say anything."

Personally, if I owned a florist shop or a catering business, I'd have no problem with providing services for a gay wedding.  It's business.  But if this lady interprets her religion to prohibit that, who is the gov't to tell her what her religion, her beliefs really are??????

Do you think this one is up next?  Many black families have moved out of the inner cities.  Now, do you think the suburban grocery stores stock, say, "chitlins?"  Well, isn't that clear evidence of racial bias and discrimination?  Shouldn't, according to the Washington State courts, these suburban grocery stores be required to carry "chitlins?"

The heavy hand of government comes slammin' down again.


No comments: