Saturday, February 11, 2017

Language

I really believe words have meanings, specific meanings.  Sometimes I face, if not criticism, at least some raised eyebrows with words I use, big words.  I suppose hearing them does bring a sense of ostentation (See?) in others.  I understand that.

But two things:  Often there are no better words to convey the meaning I intend.  (OK, instead of "sycophant" I certainly could use "bobble head.")  And if we don't use the words might they become extinct or, at least, little used?

This leads me to the use of language today, namely vulgar language.  I hope I'm not a prude; once in a while I'm known to throw out a four-letter word, but not very often.  Sometimes using profanity best expresses one's emotions, but there are usually better choices.  But it seems we resort to such words of profanity far too often today.

I think some people use such words to demonstrate how cool they are, as if being able to swear, cuss, curse makes them cool.  OK, if that's what they want to think.  But what good does actually using such words actually do?  Does the use of vulgarity really say more about the person using it, the changing values of society/culture, or what?

Of course, it's hard to go a day without hearing someone toss out an "F-bomb."  Other words, maybe only slightly less offensive, are commonplace.  We hear them on the radio and television.  I even will see them in print.  Words that were never, or very seldom, found in everyday conversation are now de rigeuer.  (There I go again!)  I'm not even talking about still crass words, but, for example, "screw," as in "We were screwed."  I suppose one might suggest that refers to the simple tool or fastener, but I really think we all know what is really meant.  This word wouldn't have been found in conversation not too long ago.

Language evolves and that is usually a good thing.  I think at one time what might be considered vulgar or profane is not now.  In Medieval Europe, for instance, reference to body parts or body functions as not considered so.  Language that was really offensive had to do with God or the Lord, taking His name in vain.  Such talk was found to be most shocking.

I suppose the use of profanity/vulgarity might serve some purposes.  As hinted above, maybe a good swear word can express an emotion or feeling, at least at the moment, better than a less offensive word.  That is, perhaps more genteel language can take us only so far, doesn't let us say what we really feel and want to say.  Maybe.  A good "F-bomb" might even be considered cathartic, although I'm not sold on the value of that.  But again, maybe.

Maybe using such words is also a sign of boredom or a limited education or even an attempt to be macho.  Then, I might ask, why do I hear more and more women using such language?  I suppose this reveals as much about me as anyone else, but I cringe when I hear an "F-bomb" coming from the mouth of a lady; yep, I just do.  I don't like hearing such words from men in public, but really hate it in women.  (I guess I know what that labels me!)

Without doubt the prevalence of such language, on the streets, in the restaurants, on the boob tube and radio, is a sign of changing values.  Surely we can see that on the small and big screens, the almost cavalier use of nudity.  Check the list of top songs and count the number of titles that include profane words--then try to listen to the lyrics.  It's cool, I guess, to have one's photo taken flipping the bird, symbolic speech as the Supremes would rule, to the President-elect; it shows how much one really cares.

Does the increased use of such words mirror a decline in our culture, if one actually thinks we are witnessing a decline?  (I think so, but what do I know?)  Is it a result of the "I, Me, Mine" "It's all about me" society we've become?  So what if someone else is offended?  "You can't tell me what to say!"

Yes, changing values, but I don't think the word "change" is synonymous with "better."  Maybe my concern is merely my own self-righteousness.  Am I trying to censor free speech?  But does free speech include the right to offend others, not their views or sensibilities, but (I can't think of the right word.).  I don't think of myself as a snowflake, but in this maybe I am.  By opposing the increasing prevalence of profanity and vulgarity, I don't think I'm trying to stifle debate or dialogue; can't we still argue our disagreements without such words?

Maybe I make too much of this.  After it, using such words might just be good clean, er, dirty fun???

1 comment:

guslaruffa said...

I have a very bad habit of using foul language. I used in front of my dad, my wife and my kids. It's a bad habit that I am not proud of. And, I really hate to hear women swear. I know it is a double standard, but I don't like it.